View in browser

Senator Tom McGarrigle

In this Edition:
  • Wednesday is SEPTA Senior Key Photo Day at Drexel Hill District Office
  • Traveling Soon and Need a Passport? Make Sure You have a Valid Birth Certificate
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program Opens Tuesday
  • Annual Senior Expo with State Representative Nick Miccarelli Brings Out More than 450 Residents
  • McGarrigle cuts ribbon for SEPTA’s Crum Creek Viaduct Project
  • Constituent Services

Wednesday is SEPTA Senior Key Photo Day at Drexel Hill District Office

I’m hosting a SEPTA Senior Key Photo Day this Wednesday with State Representative Jamie Santora.

The event will be held from 10 a .m. to 4 p.m. at my district office, 5037 Township Line Road (Corner of Township Line Road & Dermond Road).

As SEPTA prepares to introduce its new, modern fare payment and collection system – SEPTA Key – we want to assure seniors, age 65 years or older, that they will be able to continue to ride free at all times on all SEPTA transit services (bus, Market-Frankford Line, Broad Street Line, trolley and the Norristown High Speed Line). Regional Rail fares for seniors will continue to be $1 for rides within Pennsylvania.

Senior riders who do not want to use their PA Driver’s License or state-issued ID card can register and have their picture taken for the new, free SEPTA Key Senior ID card. SEPTA KEY Cards will be mailed at a later date. A photograph is needed to receive the SEPTA KEY CARD.

Please contact my office at 610-853-4100 to schedule an appointment ASAP.

Traveling Soon and Need a Passport? Make Sure You have a Valid Birth Certificate

Before applying, make sure you have a valid birth certificate that lists your full name, date of birth, place of birth, and your parent(s)’ full names along with the raised seal of the issuing authority (city, county, or state of birth). If you have either a black and white Notification of Birth or the hospital-issued certificate with your foot prints, they are not acceptable.

For those born in Pennsylvania my office can assist in obtaining the proper birth certificate from the Pennsylvania Department of Health. There is a $20 fee for each certified copy unless you or your spouse is a veteran. You will need a check or money order made payable to Vital Records as we cannot accept cash or credit cards.

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program Opens Tuesday

Residents in need of home heating assistance this winter can apply for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) starting Tuesday.

LIHEAP offers assistance in the form of a cash grant, sent directly to the utility company. Crisis grants may be available if individuals have an emergency situation and are in jeopardy of losing their heat.

The program is available to both renters and homeowners. The support comes in the form of a grant, so the individual does not have to repay assistance, and goes directly to their utility company or home heating fuel provider.

Eligibility for the 2016-17 LIHEAP season is set at 150 percent of the federal poverty income guidelines and is based on household size.

Online applications can be completed by visiting Paper applications are available through local county assistance offices or my district offices, listed on the right.

Annual Senior Expo with State Representative Nick Miccarelli Brings Out More than 450 Residents

Our Senior Citizen Expo held on Thursday, October 20 had many Exhibitors on hand that offered useful information for seniors and their families. A fun-filled day with a DJ, light refreshments, health screenings, flu and other shots, it was an educational and exciting event.

McGarrigle Cuts ribbon for SEPTA’s Crum Creek Viaduct Project

The new Crum Creek Viaduct is a 735-foot long steel and concrete structure comprised of five long spans, four piers and two abutments that replaced 17 simply supported steel spans.

New bridge abutments were constructed in front of existing abutments and the new superstructure was slid into alignment halfway through the 11-week replacement project. The new bridge is designed for a 100-year lifespan.

Critical infrastructure projects like the Crum Creek Viaduct Project provide jobs, boost economic growth, and provide safe and efficient rail services on the Media-Elwyn Line.

If you have questions or concerns with anything involving Pennsylvania state government, or would like to express your opinion on an issue, please do not hesitate to contact me. My staff and I pledge to strive to make state government more accessible and helpful to you. Listed below are several of the services that I invite you to utilize. (Our offices are listed at right.)

My staff and I can help you by providing…

What you can do for me…

  • Let me know your problems. When you encounter bureaucratic red tape and frustration, tell me about it.
  • Let me know when your community organization or municipality is seeking state funding.
  • Do you need an answer in regard to state government? Maybe I have one. If not, I will certainly try to obtain the answer for you.
  • Feel free to call, write, or stop in to my offices to share your opinions on pending legislation. I can best serve you when I know your feelings and have the benefit of your ideas.



Senate Box 203026
Harrisburg, PA 17120-3026
(717) 787-1350
Fax (717) 787-0196
TTY (800) 364-1581

5037 Township Line Road
(corner of Dermond Rd. & Township Line Rd.)
Drexel Hill, PA 19026-48211
(610) 853-4100
Fax (610) 853-4136
Toll Free (866) 853-4102

Chester County Office
Berwyn District Office
610 Lancaster Avenue, Berwyn, PA 19312
(610) 296-3474
Fax (610) 296-3147

If you find this e-newsletter useful, I invite you to visit my website for more information about your state government. You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. If you do not wish to receive this email, click here to unsubscribe.

Privacy Policy
2016 © Senate of Pennsylvania